Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's Fun To Smoke Marijuana

Remember when you could play records backwards? Those were the days. The world, to quote a former student of mine, was practically my oyster back then. I played "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen backwards and it sure sounded an awful lot like they were saying "It's fun to smoke marijuana." Only it was kind of trippy sounding, as if the words themselves had been smoking marijuana. I enjoyed doing that. Speaking of Queen, remember when "Bohemian Rhapsody" didn't make you change the station? I must have listened to that song a hundred times the first day I heard it. I didn't know music could sound like that, simultaneously operatic and hard-rocking. For a while I tried playing most of my record albums backwards, but nothing much happened, except on the aforementioned Queen, some later-mid-period Beatles stuff, and of course, one of the tunes off Pink Floyd's "The Wall"--but I can't remember which one.

3 comments:

GS Counselor: said...

You're back!

filmik said...

I had a friend who hated Bohemian Rhapsody back in '88. He would leap across the room to stop my Queen's Greatest Hits tape from playing that song. Later, he became a huge fan of Wayne's World and learned to like the song. People are funny like that.

buskerbysshe said...

People are stupid like that, more to the point, no offense to your friend back in '88--I'm not trying to single him out. But come on, can't we like something before Lorne Michaels tells us it's OK to do so?